By George Grove
The writer Novello used to be highly influential in making tune reasonable for a much wider component of the Victorian public. a quick heritage of inexpensive tune, released in 1887, specializes in Novello's position. It starts with the institution of the home in 1811, whilst the founder, Vincent Novello, published his first publication at his personal own cost. quickly afterwards the home made to be had reasonable variants of significant musical compositions together with Mozart's and Haydn's plenty, Purcell's sacred song, and diverse Italian and English works. It additionally published quite a few guides and journals devoted to song, recommended the relief of taxes on track, and organised occasions for the development of the musical arts. the writer exhibits how by way of discovering more cost-effective tools for printing song, setting up affordable live shows, and constructing new choral societies, the home of Novello progressively created a style for tune between new audiences, a method paralleled at the present time within the new media.
Read or Download A Short History of Cheap Music: As Exemplified in the Records of the House of Novello, Ewer and Co., with Special Reference to the First Fifty Years of the Reign of Her Most Gracious Majesty, Queen Victoria PDF
Best history_1 books
AEG G. IV КНИГИ ;ВОЕННАЯ ИСТОРИЯ AEG G. IV(Windsock Datafile 51)By Peter M. GroszPublisher: Albatros Productions Ltd199540 Pages ISBN: 0948414669PDF28 MBOur moment German bomber monograph profiles the AEG GIV, a sort which heretofore has stood within the shadows of its larger identified contemporaries, the Gotha and the Friedrichshafen.
A super follow-up to a landmark foreign bestseller"Suppose each tool may possibly via command or by means of anticipation of want execute its functionality by itself; think that spindles might weave in their personal accord, and plectra strike the strings of zithers via themselves; then craftsmen may haven't any want of hand-work, and masters haven't any desire of slaves.
- The Japanese Thrust. Official History of Australia in the War of 1939-1945. Series 1 (Army), Vol. 4.
- The Rise and Development of the Theory of Series up to the Early 1820s
- The 2000-2005 World Outlook for Wipes (Strategic Planning Series)
- Die deutsche Einwanderung nach Florenz Im Spätmittelalter (Medieval Mediterranean)
- History of Narrative Genres after Foucault
Additional resources for A Short History of Cheap Music: As Exemplified in the Records of the House of Novello, Ewer and Co., with Special Reference to the First Fifty Years of the Reign of Her Most Gracious Majesty, Queen Victoria
5. An enumeration of songs, duets, glees, and madrigals, with English, Italian, Catalogues. 43 French, German, and other words, including songs with guitar accompaniment. Both the guitar and the flute retained their popularity as household instruments forty years ago. Xo. 6. " From this time forth the catalogue assumed a more cosmopolitan character, and the idea with which the business was commenced—namely, that of supplying cheap music — was to receive a most vigorous expansion at the outset of the next decade in the history of the house.
The step taken by Alfred Novello, in the publication of his "Cheap Classics," was certainly on the right track, but the path was beset with obstacles which could only be gradually removed. The task of clearing the road was undertaken and continued with singleness of purpose all through his business life. As a singer, engaged in Popular Oratorios. 29 the performance of these " popular oratorios" in London and in the provinces, he had intimate means of making himself acquainted with popular needs.
Yearly volume contains six pieces of music set to words of sacred import, and a like number to words of secular character. This arrangement gave general satisfaction to the numerous singing classes. They were enabled to acquire at a very cheap rate a series of works which, by their variety, imparted a charm to the weekly meetings beyond that which arose from the following of a fashionable inclination. Musicians also approved of the work done, as will appear from the following extract from an extended notice of the first six numbers of The Musical Times, which appeared in The Musical World.
A Short History of Cheap Music: As Exemplified in the Records of the House of Novello, Ewer and Co., with Special Reference to the First Fifty Years of the Reign of Her Most Gracious Majesty, Queen Victoria by George Grove