By Sudhir Paul (auth.), Sudhir Paul (eds.)
Autoimmune Reactions tackles primary questions about how the immune procedure can smash invading microbial pathogens with no inflicting harm to itself and different "self" platforms. The authoritative specialists writing right here discover the mechanistic facets of such autoimmune ailments as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, and autoimmune thyroid ailment, and the place attainable delineate how malfunctioning immunological mechanisms can result in medical signs. in addition they speak about attainable basic mechanisms of autoimmune disease-e.g., molecular mimicry and dysfunctional antigen presentation-and their present obstacles as unifying reasons of the ailments defined. furthermore, proof for novel immunological phenomena, together with antibody catalysis and the penetration of cells by means of antibodies, is reviewed, and their attainable organic effects are pointed out. The ebook additionally seriously surveys the options and learn that are supposed to finally allow improvement of palliatives and treatments for autoimmune ailments, in addition to methods to the long-standing challenge of self-nonself discrimination via the immune system.
the excellent, insightful evaluate supplied in Autoimmune Reactions constitutes the hot commonplace reference for all practising autoimmunologists, molecular immunologists, mobile and molecular pathologists, and medical immunologists who have to stay on the state-of-the-art of analysis on autoimmune disorder this present day.
Read Online or Download Autoimmune Reactions PDF
Similar nonfiction_10 books
Seed Germination, Ontogeny, and Shoot progress summary: Seed Germination, Ontogeny, and Shoot development
It used to be lately that many physicians and biomedical scientists felt that the period of 'vaccines' for safeguarding mankind opposed to infectious sickness used to be coming to an finish. in the course of the 1 940s and 50s the common use of newly built antibiotics and antimicrobial chemotherapeutic brokers prompt a brand new period in drugs, i.
This publication is th e results of a collaborative study undertaking related to the Centre for Defence and protection experiences on the collage of Manitoba (Canada) and the Centre for Defence Economics on the collage of York in England . maybe no longer strangely, given its transatlantic origins, its lineage is slightly concerned.
The fifteen papers comprising this ebook have been selected out of the sixty-one contributions to the Symposium and part on Social platforms held within the context of the Fourth foreign Congress of Cybernetics and structures (Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 21-25 August, 1978). those papers, as sembled the following at the foundation in their topicality, intensity and originality, conceal quite a lot of difficulties, starting from 'Societies and Turing machines' to 'Dialectics and catastrophe'.
- Decommissioned Submarines in the Russian Northwest: Assessing and Eliminating Risks
- Coronary Heart Disease: Clinical, Angiographic, & Pathologic Profiles
- Biochemical Actions of Hormones. Volume 14
- Biotic Crises in Ecological and Evolutionary Time
- Progress in Fibrin Sealing
- Insect Neurochemistry and Neurophysiology · 1989 ·
Extra resources for Autoimmune Reactions
43. Chen, P. , Robbins, D. , Jirik, F. , Kipps, T. , and Carson, D. A (1987) Isolation and characterization of a light chain variable region gene for human rheumatoid factors. 1. Exp. Med. 66, 1900-1912. Autoimmunity and B-Cell Malignancies 29 44. Silverman, G. , Fernandez, 1, Chen, P. , and Carson, D. A (1988) Distinct patterns of heavy chain variable region subgroup use by human monoclonal autoantibodies of different specificity. 1. Exp. Med. 168,2361-2366. 45. Silverman, G. , Schrohenholer, R.
The possible incorporation of viruses into the human genome renders the virus a source of persistent endogenous antigen. Molecular mimicry between infectious organisms and host cells can also playa role, while the production of superantigens by invading microorganisms and the induction of heat shock protein (HSP) synthesis may exert important immunomodulatory effects. 3. Yersinia enterocolitica was one of the first agent to be implicated in the etiology of GD. Patients with Y. enterocolitica infections have antibodies to 36 Ajjan and Weetman thyroid epithelium (54), and a large proportion of GD patients have antibodies to Yersinia antigens, proposed to be owing to TSH-R crossreactivity (55).
38) 5. Autoimmune hypothyroidism associated with Down's syndrome Susceptibility Nicholson et al. (39) a Early onset. Caucasians Caucasians Koreans SOl 0501 Arg. 52 positive 0501 None with SOl 8arlow et al. (27) Cuddihy et al. (28) Protection Tarnai et al. (29) Santamaria et al. (35) 3. Primary myxedema Susceptibility Bogner et al. (36) 8adenhoop et al. (26) DDQAI 0302 Caucasians DR3 DRB3*0101 DR3(F) DR3 None with DR83*0101 0201 DR7 0401 DR12 0301 030112 DR3 0301, 0501 Arg. 52 positive 0102 0301 0301 Arg.
Autoimmune Reactions by Sudhir Paul (auth.), Sudhir Paul (eds.)